Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

My first training session

I contacted Mike B. in NC to let him know that I'd be coming to town for the Cary Cup about 2 weeks ago, and I hadn't had one training session yet. I had just been stealing a couple of minutes of practice from some of lessons here and there in the last month.

I had everything floating in my head, and it was time to put something down on paper.

Equipment
At the Nationals I decided it was time to put a real racket back in my hand. Before I retired I was using the Keyshot, but this time around I decided that I would go lightweight. The Keyshot Light seemed like a club to me, so I opted for the Kreanga Aeros blade as it was lightweight, fast, and had a big sweetspot. For my forehand I upgrade my Tackifire Special Soft to Tackifire-C Soft. It is a much softer sponge, and it gives more feel that really opens up how Kreanga blade. At least that was the theory. The fact that it has a very tacky topsheet still fits my looping style. On the backhand I decided to stay with the tried and true Catapult. It has never let me down, and is easily the rubber that fits the way that I play my backhand. I also decided to use the speed optimizer this time out. I'll give a product review on this equipment as soon as I get more data, especially with how serious the ittf are taking this glue ban.

Training Schedule
In the past I have only needed 6 weeks of training to prepare for any tournament, so I sat down in front of the computer and wrote my 6-week training plan. I was going to make sure that I did not leave out a technique, as it was really 4 years almost to the day that I stopped training. It is easy to overlook a certain skill, espcially when coming back. So I wrote a 6-week training plan to get me sharp for the Cary Cup. Playing in front of my home crowd won't be stressful at all. I'm simple coming back, "For Love of the Game", and I think I'm not able to think much past that.

I needed to play at least 3 times a week, and 2hrs would be the minimum that I would be on the table. I was going back to shadow training, yoga, and core training. I still ride my bike 200 miles a week, so I know that fitness won't be a problem. I have never had problems with getting injured, but I am 35 now, so I'll be mindful.

Activated the Partner
In the past my only practice partner I had while living in Florida was Rafael Flores. All the times that I was beating 2500 and 2600 players I was practicing with a guy that was 2100 at the time. I adopted that concept from Todd Sweeris. When I lived in Maryland, he constantly got on me for not doing the little things to get better. He always suggested that I should train with players 200 points under my rating, because that way I would learn just how much effort I need to do that would make me effective. I never truly understood that concept until I started training with Jay & Rafael. I could dramatically tone down the pace of my shots, and it automatically gave me more "Stroke Integrity". Once I competed against players my level, my shots were much more grounded, as was my anxiety.

I was unsure how Rafael would react because, I had kind of abandoned him when I retired. We played about 10 times in 4 years. In Vegas I let him know, I'd be reactivating him, and he said, "I'll believe it when you are on the table". So I sent him a text message to see if he wanted to play. He sent back a message, "Yes, I've been waiting".

I told him to check his email. I got back a "WOW" in about the 48 font size back from him. I had sent him the excel file of the 6 weeks traing program. There are 3 phases, the first phase is 2 weeks, and it just consist of skill building, footwork, and establishing fitness. The second phase moves into footwork drills, specific defense exercises, and serves. The 3rd phase consist of game situation drills, serve & serve return exercises, and games. I got a big, "Let's Do It" email from Rafael so it was on.

I had a mtn bike training session that almost conflicted with first table tennis session. I did 1 lap with the group, and as they chatted I went back in and did 2 laps back to back. I then rode around the park to cool down. I went home, unpacked all my mtn bike gear, jumped in the shower to get the dirt off, grabbed my pong gear and head for the YMCA. I ate a wrap on the way to the gym, as I needed to put some calories back in the body before I went to train for another 2 hours. I burned 1740 calories, and the wrap was only about 600, so I was still short so the last 30 minutes of my first session might hurt. Dang! That last 30 mins will be the multi-ball session.

Speaking of multi ball, let me get my Practice Balls. I decided I was not in the mood for the white dust on my racket, so I gave the balls a bath in the sink to knock off some it.


Back on the table
Before I even started I had a little chat with Raf about the concept about the first 2 weeks. It was this definition of tempo.

Tempo(tem'po)n.pl tem-pos or tempi (-pe) 1. A characteristic rate or rhythm of activity, a pace.

That was the key word, PACE.

This first phase was about reintroducing the muscles into moving at this pace. To stimulate "Muscle Memory", it is only neccessary to train again within 72 hours of your last session. So it is not necessary to bury yourself. Coming back at a nice tempo actually has a multitude of benefits.

1. It finesses the muscles back in what you did before
2. It allows you to establish your fitness zone.
3. You can easily find your timing at a medium tempo


There are more, but these are imperative for me for this phase.

This would be a 2-hr training session, and the theme was to let it hurt. So I would not play more than 75% of my effort. That would no doubt build stroke integrity, fitness, footwork, and reestablish my timing. All exercises were 5mins, and that way the drill would not get boring, and it would not wear us down too quickly.

The 2 hrs was broken down into 3 blocks.
Block 1
Consisted of just basic drills for 5 mins. I have to say it was exhausting, and the fact that I rode my mtn bike before didn't make it any easier. It was 4 different exercises regarding the FH Loop. Then the same 4 exercise for the BH.

Block 2
This session consisted of footwork drills, and that was the session that put Rafael under. I was starting to feel good as the lactic acid in my legs from the mtn bike ride started to dissipated. My arms did get heavy, and that is a result of just not playing any particular shot for that period of time.

Block 3
Here comes the pain. Multi-ball! That's right, a bonafide multi-ball session my first day back. I only did 3 exercises, but it was a gross and a half of balls for each exercise. Doing anything for 225 time is really exhausting. I actually felt really good after the third exercise, but we were out of time.

Thoughts on my first session
1. My fitness from cycling is the reason I was not tired
2. I still have my footwork
3. My forearm snap is a little slow
4. I need to train within 3 days to keep this benefit

5. I wish I had a warm-up competition or two

When I know more, you'll know more

Pacer Out!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home