Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Monday, February 11, 2008

Back on the table again

I decided to play a local unsanctioned tournament this past Sunday, because I needed to knock the calcification off my game if I wanted to really find out where I stood.

First, let me start by saying I'm no longer a sponsored player. Don't look at me like I'm that same player before, because I'm not. I'm just a dude that is coming to play some table tennis. I'm going to be totally free spirited about what I say and what I do with no influence from anything or anyone. You are getting my take on how I see the world. This is just my "Lil Ole Experience" in playing table tennis.

OK, back to the story. I was playing to see if I could win some money to buy some headphones to used in my first 12-hr race in Ocala this weekend. Since I'm playing the Cary Cup, this is an ideal situation to get some homework in.

I only had one real practice session this year, and it was full one that included multi-ball and full footwork exercises. But I hadn't done any blocking, serve returning, deep pushing, or short over the table play. So this would be a crash course in getting everything up and running. Plus, I just don't like playing on the floor, as it is can be dangerous on the knees.

Man, how am I going to go in this place, get some good practice matches without attracting attention? How do you get some homework without the other person feeling all jacked up to beat me. I think that it will be impossible. I get there late due to not remembering where to turn, and my group is already in play. Since I glued already I just warmed up and played my first match. It was weird playing on another table, and I forgot how different the bounce is on other tables. I had basically secluded myself for 4 years just playing in really good conditions, and very good Butterfly tables. It was nice to have to troubleshoot how to get my game going. After 3 games I was good to go.

The next match was even easier as the player had a straight up and down style. There was a little dispute about whether or not I served a "Wet ball" to a 1900 player, and the conversation was almost comical. I stood my ground on this issue. I have not played seriously in 4 years, but I have not lost a bit of my fiery competitive spirit. After that, I went right back to pulling his game apart just like the petals off a rose. My next match is a penholder and I find a bit of a groove, but the points weren't long enough to help me find a comfort zone. So I won my group without any problems. I did have a 10-4 lead, and lost 6 points in a row due to a 4 year lay off "Brain fart".

The next group I was in dramatically went up in level. I played a guy from the Caribbean, and it was a easy 3-0 win for me as I was gaining my instinct back. The next match I had to play Di Maharaj. I have never lost to Di, and nor have I even came close to losing to him when I was playing. His game just has way too many holes in it. But I'm way out of practice, and have not played a serious match in such a long time that I total forgot and perferct formula I had created. So if there was a time that he was going to beat me, then it would be this day.

As I was on my way to losing 3-0 I started to remember bits and pieces of the formula. I would have string of 4 or 5 good points that I totally exposed his game. Then I would have a string of 4 or 5 points where I would serve long, miss a serve, or just complete go blank on my tactics. After I lost the 2nd game I decided to stick to the game plan and try to get in some practice matches without taking it too serious. He was yelling and screaming and pumping himself up to beat a guy that has been retired for 4 years. Man, that is some low expectations. I was down big in the 3rd, made a nice comback, but just made too many simple errors. This lets you know how serious he took it. He was freaking getting coaching in between games. How do you get advice on strategy when you are playing a unsanctioned practice tournament. What insulted me even more was as he went to shake the hand of the guy that was giving him advice, he said, " I played half of my game". And he went on to say it another 2 times. That was just low class to me, and I'm going to put that "Statement" in the bank and let is gain some interest. If I go back there to play, I'm going to make a deposit on that statement.

The next match I plan Yandi. Now, I actually never beat Yandi before. I lost to him twice in the last months before I retired. But the unorthodox match with Di actually tuned me up, and before I know it was up 10-3 in the first and had not really man any errors. I can't remember how I lost to him twice, but he was just not doing anything out there. The second game was more of the first, until I had a brainfart while up 6-2, and before I knew it the score was 9-all. I managed to win that game by just pressing the attack when I served and pushing the ball deep to his BH when he served. I then started having thoughts of winning the group if I was able to beat him 3-0. Then Di would be out, and I would advance to see if I can get my headphones.

I made mistake after mistake and it was almost comical at this point. The score was 6-all, and I had made like 5 rookie errors. "Man, I could be up 11-1 right now", is was what I was thinking. I make even more errors at critical moments, and I'm down 10-8 on his serve. If I lose this game I go home, so I won the two points courtesy of him serving 2 nice deep balls. We go back and forth, and I never get the advantage. He wins the game 14-12, so I'm out. But it's not over, I'm still practicing, so that is exactly what I do. I just practice every different serve and serve return I can think of and the score stays even in the 4th. I missed 6 loops that would have been outright winning in my hayday. At this point I decided it is just in my interest to keep gathering data, to make my practice session much more productive once I really get back in the lab. I win the game 13-11, again, courtesy of a deep serve. It is not even anything to celebrate about, so I just pack up and hit the road. I have 40 miles to ride when I get home.

So, I had to make the trip up to the Apple store in Boca to use my own money to by these.

I couldn't figure out which one I wanted, so I bought both of them. I have a 12-hr race this weekend in Ocala, so I plan to make sure that the ipod is loaded with tunes and the earphones wont' fail me.

I guess what I enjoy about racing bikes was not attracting any attention in the beginning. It was nice to be in a race and for noone to expect anything out of you. I could shock them with my performance, but that was over after I did this.



After that I gained a rep in South Florida for having impressive horsepower, which means no more hiding.

When I retired from table tennis, I still wanted to play, but I no longer wanted to be a target. I was no longer interested in being the gun slinger. I had done that long enough, and grew quite bored of it. The problem is if I come out to play, the person that is across the table is not playing for fun. He is trying to put a notch on his belt. See, I gave Di a free notch on his belt that he has been trying to get for over 10 years. Now, I hope that he feels secure with that notch, because that is the only one is getting for the next 10 years. Don't think I'm still not competitive! Remember, I had the longest "Undefeated" streak for any Florida player, (5 years). I haven't decided whether or not I'm going to totally awaken the sleeping elephant because I'm different now. I'm marry, I have a yorkie, I raced bikes, I just finished my degree and have a great job. I'm not sure if there is room in my life to be that same type of player from before.

When racing bikes you never get a chance to look the guy in the face to size him up, or to play mind games. I can't believe that Yandi and Di have gave me their best "Game Face" from an emotionally standpoint. I almost forgot what it was like for someone to actually go to the point of trying to rattle my cage while getting themselves where they needed to be. I was never like that before, and I have "No" intentions of getting close to that. I would rather save my oxygen and break the player's game down from a tactical standpoint. I told Rafael that the "CHO" in mne is totally gone. No more jumping around and getting all worked up over making a great counterloop. I'm a Godfather with regards to my level in the entire part of the country, and I just think it's tacky to do it now. It's better to just show come class from a competitive and ethical standpoint.

I'm simply back now for, "Love of the Game", and I just want to play because I love the artform. As a matter of fact I was out in Las Vegas shooting some instructional clips that are on the butterfly website, check out the clips they put up so far.

I have not put myself back on "Active" status publically. I'm just going to play because I just love to play. I have some big things planned, but right now they are all staying between my ears.

I'll keep you posted, though.

Pacer Out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home